Smiling with Braces – Invisalign in Evanston
Braces – those familiar hunks of metal clearly indicating an orthodontic problem. They are the butt of many jokes with braces becoming locked together during a kiss. Yet, smiling without self-consciousness is possible while wearing braces. Invisalign is a new approach to straightening teeth. Invisalign in Evanston and elsewhere across the United States lets children, teens and adults smile as broadly and as often as they please without comment. Why? Because, as the name implies, Invisalign is almost invisible.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a process designed to allow the individual to straighten their teeth without using metal braces. Instead of metal, the orthodontist creates a personalized series of removable, clear plastic aligners. These aligners are placed on the teeth, one after the other over approximately every two weeks. They remain in place until the treatment is finished.
How does it Work?
When you wear the plastic braces, the aligner trays work to shift your teeth gently into place. This will take place over a period of time. How long and how many Invisalign trays you will require will depend upon the condition of your teeth. The orthodontist will determine the length of time required and create the precise number of trays you require.
Advantages of Invisalign
The advantages of this method are obvious. They are ideal for those who wish to keep their dental work private. It is ideal for shy individuals and anyone who wants to smile without feeling self-conscious about it. In general, the advantages of Invisalign include:
* 1. They are virtually invisible – few people will notice them
* 2. You can remove and replace them on your own – no visit to the dentist or orthodontist until 8 to 10 weeks after the initial fitting
* 3. You can eat and drink as you normally would during this treatment – easily remove the aligners then put them back in
* 4. You can continue to brush and floss
* 5. The lack of metal means you are unlikely to suffer from the sores and roughness associated with metal and wire braces
If you are interested in finding out if you are a candidate for Invisalign, please call Stephens Dentistry at (847) 864-8151 to set up consultation with one of our doctors, or feel welcome to request an appointment through our webpage.